Sunday, October 24, 2010

Farewell Party?!

Last Friday, October 22, 2010, I received an letter from our Barangay's SK Chairman. The letter, which was attached with a stub separated in 3 parts that says "AM Snacks, Lunch, PM Snacks", states that there will be a farewell party for the SK on Sunday, October 24, 2010, and all youth ages 18-25 are invited. The party will be held at a certain BEACH RESORT located in the southern part of Cebu. Transportation and food are provided and the meeting time is 7:00 AM. I really don't want to go because of the fear that I cannot relate to the other youth who will come but due to boring days before the farewell party, I decided to attend.

The day came and I arrived on the meeting place on time. I hop inside one of the 2 public buses they rented. After minutes of travel, we arrived at the municipality where the BEACH RESORT is located. I was shocked because the place is too urban to be a beach resort. Then they told us to walk for about 15-30 minutes to reach the final destination. I thought to myself, "This sacrifice must be worthy maybe because the BEACH RESORT is fascinating.", but as soon as we reached the BEACH RESORT, my mouth dropped! We arrived at a resort that only have 2 cottages, no stores nearby, and no safety personnel. You can't even call it a BEACH RESORT! It's just a simple beach. When we arrived the SK handed over the first part of the food they prepared, the AM snack. I thought it was perfect because I was so hungry that time, but when I saw the food, I was like "never-mind" but I have no choice because I am so hungry. They gave us all 2 pieces of sliced bread filled with a sandwich spread and everyone fell in line for a bottle of juice that was not enough to sustain all who came.

Lunch came, so they all gathered us to distribute the food. But before they distribute it, a guy gave out a speech. The whole point of his speech was the corruption done by the incumbent Barangay Captain and to vote for his dad to be a Barangay Councilor. Isn't that a violation? Barangay and SK Elections will be held on MONDAY, October 25, 2010, and the last day of the campaign was SATURDAY, October 23, 2010. This means, they commit a violation. Plus, he stated that the money spent during the so-called "farewell party" came from their own pockets. For that, I totally did not believe! I believe that there was a support from the candidates. After his speech they distributed the food. I was shocked because they already announced that everyone can go back to the line if they want more,without knowing that not all received their very DELICIOUS food. What's more shocking is that there was no PM Snacks and the stub was useless!

Good thing I saw my former neighbors in a group, at least I enjoyed their company. But over-all, I really did not enjoyed the party because it turned out to be a political campaign done on the eve of the elections. When I arrived at the BEACH RESORT, my mind kept telling me to go home already, but I stayed because I respect the invitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment